Trish, over at Hey Lady, Whatcha Reading had a meme on her blog that I really liked (which she of course got from someone who got from someone, etc.). The goal is to think of as many things as you can that you love starting with the same (assigned) letter. I love this type of thing, so I had to jump aboard. Trish gave me the letter I. (That’s a capital I, not lowercase l). Not an easy letter, but I’ll do my best.
If you’re interested in this, let me know in the comments. I will e-mail you a randomly assigned letter (No Q’s, X’s, or Z’s…I promise!) for you to use in your own blog (or even as a Facebook Note…whichever!)
Since I love books, I need to start with my literary loves….
1. Ignatius J. Reilly, the frustrating and insufferable blow-hard protagonist of the novel A Confederacy of Dunces. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love that book!
2. Invisibility Cloaks and Imperious curses and all the other goodies that make up the world of Harry Potter.
3. Insults. Well, I don’t always love insults. But a well thought out, well timed insult makes my day. Like Stephen King insulting Stephenie Meyer. FWI, I got rid on New Moon on paperbackswap.com and used that credit to get The Stand by Stephen King.
4. Intelligence. In my humble opinion, one of the most important qualities a person can have.
5. Ice cream. I love it, I love it, I love it! We had a beautiful 60+ degree day on Sunday. I took my son to the park. Afterwards, we stopped by a little home-made ice cream shop. I had a root beer float and Grady had a small scoop of strawberry ice cream. Dee-lish. Usually I like to go out for ice cream at Gifford’s in Bethesda. Which is right next to the theater where I like to see….
6. Independent movies. I love the Bethesda Landmark Row theater. I got to enjoy such fare as Little Miss Sunshine, Garden State, Thank You for Smoking, Brokeback Mountain and many others that either were never widely released or took longer to become widely released. The theater has a “real” movie feel about it that the Regal/Hoyts/AMC multiplex just can’t seem to find. (By the way…I was going to say that I also love Indie rock music too. But yesterday, my husband and I were totally rocking out to Matchbox 20, so I think I lose the right to even say I like Indie music, Matchbox 20 being the epitome of lame corporate rock. Well maybe they lost that title to Coldplay. I don’t care though….Matchbox 20 remains my one band that I am truly embarrassed to love.)
I’ve saved my favorite for last…..
7. Innocence. Nothing beats the innocence of a two year old. My son is 2 year and 4 months old and every day I am astounded by him. The innocence of a child who fervently believes that mommy’s kisses really can cure a boo-boo, or that Santa really does watch him to see that he behaves (and that maybe one day he’ll get a ride on The Polar Express to see Santa), or that he might be able to fly like a bird if he flaps his arms hard enough, is enough to nearly reduce me to tears.
PS- Yes I’ve been living in the kingdom of slackerdom. I promise my next post will be a real book-related post.