I got an award from Children of the 90’s. Go me! She tagged me as a fellow Queen of all things awesome. Or Awe-summm. So I have to list seven things that make me awesome. Not me personally, my blog. Or rather, the topic of my blog. So here goes:
1. Judy Blume. Blubber nothwithstanding, Judy Blume is my fucking hero. I love her style, but mostly I love that she is a strong advocate for intellectual freedom and fighting the banning of books. Banned Books Week = Nikki’s most wonderful time of the year.
2. BSC. OK, I haven’t done too much with the BSC because of the plethora of BSC related materials out there in blogland. BUT I made a list of my five BSC faves and I am going to review them. FYI, in order my favorites are 1-Logan Likes Mary Anne, 2-The Camp Mohwak Super Special (don’t remember the name), 3-The Ghost at Dawn’s House (the only decent Dawn book), 4-Claudia and Mean Janine, and 5-Jessi’s Secret Language.
3. The Cunt Log. (apologies again for the use of the word Cunt). So far, the Cunt Log consists of Jessica Wakefield (of Sweet Valley), Jill Brenner (Blubber) and Jana Morgan (Taffy Sinclair Series). Admit it, you love the word cunt as much as I do. Also, I’m trying to find a good photo to use everytime I add another character to the cunt log. But I’m trying to avoid a picture of an actual vagina. Because I’m no smut peddler.
***EDIT: I must not forget Nancy Wheeler from Are You There God, It’s Me, Margaret. The original cunt.
4. Mary Downing Hahn. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. There is no justice in a world where the books of Francine Pascal and Stephenie Meyer have outsold the books of this fine author by the MILLIONS.
5. Angst. Because it is a YA blog after all. And where would adolescence be without a little angst? Just ask Spencer from The Wind Blows Backward. He’s all angst and no substance. Also, my next book review, Up Country by Alden Carter is pretty angsty. So — yay!
6. Jerry Spinelli. Kind of reiterating a very recent blog, but the dude can fucking write. And I will not rest until I finally find copies of Space Station Seventh Grade AND Jason and Marceline.
7.Non book reviews. Because there was more to my adolescence than books. (OK, not much). I have a very special surprise for my dear readers. It’s sitting at the top of my Netflix queue right now. Should I ruin the surprise for you? How about a hint? OK – Happy Harry Hard-on. If you know what that refers to, check back in the next couple weeks for a recap, one I am FANTASTICALLY excited to do!
I am more than happy to spread the good word and bestow this wonderful award/albatross on the following blogs:
Stoneybrookite – for all your BSC love.
BSC Rediculosity – for more BSC love.
Dibbly Fresh – for total snarkability
Hey Lady, Watcha Reading – Excellent book reviews, and not just YA books. Big people books, which I do occasionally read.
Live it, love it. Because if you want to read something hilarious and squirm-inducing, check out her TMI Thursdays.
Check ’em out!
Fucking Penguins, just dropped one to the stinkin’ Caps. Damn.