I haven’t been a great blogger this year, and I don’t see that improving anytime in the near future. Still, I managed 50 books this year, which was nice. Actually more than 50, I wasn’t very good about keeping track of the books I read with my kids.
Books read for the blog have an asterisk*, books I highly recommend are bolded.
- Yes Please; Amy Poehler
- Batman: Hush; Jeph Loeb, et al
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid, The Long Haul; Jeff Kinney
- Grasshopper Jungle; Andrew Smith
- The Shadow Hero; Gene Luen Yang
- Mother.Wife.Sister.Human.Warrior.Falcon.Yardstick. Turban.Cabbage; Rob Delaney
- Remember Me to Harold Square; Paula Danziger*
- The Age of Miracles; Karen Thompson Walker
- Find a Stranger Say Goodbye; Lois Lowry*
- Gone Girl; Gillian Flynn
- Andre the Giant; Box Brown
- American Savage; Dan Savage
- American Born Chinese; Gene Luen Yang
- Caleb’s Crossing; Geraldine Brooks
- I’ll be Seeing You; Lurlene McDaniel*
- Curveball; The Year I Lost my Grip: Jordan Sonnenblick
- Aristotle & Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe; Benjamin Alire Saenz
- Half-Broke Horses; Jeannette Walls
- El Deafo; Cece Bell
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian; Sherman Alexie
- Ultimate Spiderman vol 3; Brian Michael Bendis, et al
- Doll in the Garden; Mary Downing Hahn*
- Wonder Woman Vol 5, Flesh; Brian Azzarello, et al
- Outlander; Diana Gabaldon
- The Affair of the Porcelain Dog; Jess Faraday
- In the Unlikely Event; Judy Blume
- Go Set a Watchman; Harper Lee
- BSC #23, Dawn on the Coast; Ann M. Martin*
- I don’t Know What you Know Me From; Judy Greer
- Station Eleven; Emily St. John Mandel
- Daredevil; Mark Waid, et al
- I Funny (audiobook); James Patterson, read by Frankie Seratch
- The Miseducation of Cameron Post; Emily Danforth
- The Alex Crow; Andrew Smith
- Superfudge; Judy Blume*
- The Silkworm; Robert Galbraith
- Carry On; Rainbow Rowell
- Daredevil, vol. 2; Mark Waid, et al
- Nimona; Noelle Stevenson
- The Rest of Us Just Live Here; Patrick Ness
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks; Rebecca Skloot
- Daredevil Vol. 5; Mark Waid, et al
- Daredevil Vol. 6; Mark Waid, et al
- Daredevil Vol. 7; Mark Waid, et al
- The Adoration of Jenna Fox; Mary Pearson
- Ultimate Comics Spiderman Vol. 4 Brian Michael Bendis
- Ultimate Comics Spiderman Vol 5; Brian Michael Bendis
- A Week in Winter; Maeve Binchy
- Giant Days Vol. 1; John Allison
- Someday This Pain Will Be Useful To You; Peter Cameron
Best Book of 2015
I read quite a few good ones, but the best was probably Station Eleven . I’ve recommended it to several people already.
Worst Book of 2015
I read a few of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books with my kids, and they aren’t good. But I’m not really the intended audience, so I’d go with Go Set a Watchman.
Most Disappointing Book of 2015
Go Set a Watchman. Hands down so fucking disappointing. Not just the book, but the whole way it went about being published.
Most Surprising (in a good way) Book of 2015
The Affair of the Porcelain Dog. I don’t read much from indie publishers, so I was really pleasantly surprised by this one. I’m going to read the two sequels this year.
Book You Recommended to People Most in 2015
Best Series You Discovered in 2015
Mark Waid’s Daredevil. If you’re a fan of the show on Netflix and want to read some of the comics, I recommend this series.
Favourite New Authors You Discovered in 2015
Gene Leun Yang. He’s a great graphic novelist.
Most Hilarious Read of 2015
It’s a tie between Amy Poehler’s Yes Please, and Rob Delaney’s Mother. Wife. Sister. Human. Warrior. Falcon. Yardstick. Turban. Cabbage.
Most Thrilling, Unputdownable Book in 2015
Again, I’ve got to go with Station Eleven. I’m going to add Grasshopper Jungle here though, because even though it had its issues, I couldn’t fucking put it down.
Book You Most Anticipated in 2015
In the Unlikely Event because it’s been way too long since we had a new Judy Blume book. (And it didn’t disappoint!)
Favourite Cover of a Book You Read in 2015
Carry On by Rainbow Rowell. Rowell’s books all have lovely covers.
Most Memorable Character in 2015
Nimona. Noelle Stevenson has a knack for writing excellent girl characters.
Beautifully Written Book in 2015
Station Eleven. Sorry to keep going back to this one, but it was one of the best books I’ve ever read. I’d also add Gone Girl, because of the amazing use of the unreliable narrator.
Book That Had the Greatest Impact on You in 2015
The Immortal life of Henrietta Lacks.
Book You Can’t Believe You Waited Until 2014 to Finally Read
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.